What is and why have a company story?
COMPANY STORY :: Define or refine it
What is a company story?
...it’s the life force of your company.
- It’s not soft, not subjective, not just a nice-to-have.
- When you have a clear company story – your employees will know what the company is trying to achieve, how they should work, what success looks like, what the priorities are, and on and on. In other words, they get it. And if you get it, you can work with focus, energy, enthusiasm, creativity, and autonomy.
- In other words, the company story is the fuel and direction you supply to make every employee (as long as you did your hiring right) a superstar.
- And this is what you share
- What do you do?
- Why do you do it?
- How do you do it?
- What is the impact?
- What does the future look like?
- What is it like to work for you?
- What is important to know about working at your company?
And by the way, it’s not just employees that want to tap into the life force of your company, it’s everyone else…
Your company started because of belief that it could meet a need, create a product, provide a service, contribute to the world and be successful. You want to be sure that everyone understands why you believe this, how you are going to make it happen.
Why have a company story?
...to maximize your investment of energy. Huh?
By the time you have hired an employee, you have already made a significant investment. You have searched, interviewed, evaluated, created a job description, roles, responsibilities, designed an offer package, on boarded, integrated, trained, etc. = time, time, time and money.
Therefore, you want to be sure that each and every employee spends all of their time and intellectual energy doing the right work, the right way, at the right time.
Your company story is the recipe for doing this.